Artificial Arcana

I finished my fantasy card-game with AI-generated images. After evaluating the first version I created, I've overhauled the card texts and enhanced the visuals. I've gotten plenty of feedback from play testing. I gave the game a new name: Artificial Arcana, something with a better ring to it and a clear reference to AI.

So in the previous post I described the process of designing the game. I felt that the first version was a bit rushed. A lot of obvious mistakes had snuck in. But this time around, I took the time to review it. The result can be seen here.

TuckBoxπŸ”—

This time I ordered the card game with a custom-printed tuck-box for packaging. Designing the box was quite fun in making all six sides blend together and complementing each other. I generated images for each side separately with StableDiffusion and modified the aspect ratio accordingly, and put them together using GIMP. To make it more seamless, I blended the transitions between the images and matched the color levels.

image-1

PlaytestingπŸ”—

Play testing revealed a lot of ambiguity in how rules and abilities were formulated, these have been clarified, and some cards have been made more balanced. I did my best to make the rules more comprehensible, so hopefully someone other than me can make sense of them. Luckily, this game is fairly simple to begin with.

image-1

PrintingπŸ”—

The visuals of the first print have been improved by adjusting colors and contrast and increasing font size for better readability. I found the dark areas in the first version a bit saturated. Getting the print accurate can be challenging as there might be biases in the display.

Final thoughtsπŸ”—

I've been hesitant about what to do with this project. I created it purely to mess around with AI images, but at the same time, it would be fun to show it to others. Being a card game though, it's not as easy as just putting up a download link. If there is any interest, I might put it up on Amazon.

image-1
Lejondahl